Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Daily News

Obama continues to go up in the polls, Huck continues to fade in Texas. So good news/bad news. And everywhere else in the world: war, famine, pestilence. But do they like us?

That Barack is doing well is good because nothing can be more wholesome to the American body politic than to get rid of the Clintons. Everything about them is division and dishonesty, baiting Republicans against them so that their base will rise in their defense, and otherwise fantasizing facts to create a world that doesn't exist, and supported in that fantasy by the press because somehow that world is the one they want. Once they're gone a better tone might develop, and possibly some Democrat will emerge who will be willing to judge the world with more care for cause and effect. I don't know that, but the Clintons have been the Democrat ethos for 15 years and with them back in power it certainly won't change. With them out of power... maybe. But everything about those two is fantasy. Even Hillary's makeup is fantasy. She's sixty years old, and tries to look twenty. I don't know why, it simply communicates that she's been packaged: the face embodies the fake of everything that is Clinton.

That Huck is doing not so good is a disappointment, but I guess understandable in that McCain isn't such a bad candidate, is inevitable, and is generally likable enough. I don't myself see that he has any great gifts, excepting for force of character. He does have that; and strength, patriotism, and basic decency is a pretty good base on which to build a presidency.

I do take exception though to his "courteous" campaign. He went out of his way to speak well of Hillary and Barack as "good Americans" after a radio host who had been part of one of his rallies had said some things not quite so positive. If he actually believes those two --I guess I mean mostly Hillary-- is actually such a fine American then his head is up a dark spot. I do fear that he does believe that, and that he thinks the problem is with the people --Republicans-- and not with liberal Democrats. I do fear that he's now so much a creature of Washington that he believes Washington is America, and that the people are merely a pain. This thought is my very strong impulse behind hoping Huck will do very well.

Even as a campaign tactic I can see no purpose in going so obviously out of the way to assert "civility". Part of what a campaign should do is communicate something of the force of feeling that is felt by the base. I see some honesty in that, and the utility of honesty. But to be content with such sterile, intellectualized statements such as: We have deep philosophical differences, is to cast doubt that those deep differences exist at all. Deep differences should excite anger. I would like to see him dislike Hillary at least as much as he disliked Romney.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with McCain. I do fear that he's of the imperial clique of the American elite, and understands ordinary Americans about as well as Louie the Fourteenth understood peasants.

-----------------
Something of McCain's response to Bill Cunningham's remarks:
“It’s my understanding that before I came in here a person who was on the program before I spoke made some disparaging remarks about my two colleagues in the Senate, Senator Obama and Senator Clinton,” he said. “I have repeatedly stated my respect for Senator Obama and Senator Clinton, that I will treat them with respect. I will call them ‘Senator.’ We will have a respectful debate, as I have said on hundreds of occasions. I regret any comments that may have been made about these two individuals who are honorable Americans.”

Responding to questions from reporters, Mr. McCain said he did not hear what Mr. Cunningham said, saying that when he arrived, Mr. Portman was on stage.

“Whatever suggestion that was made that was any way disparaging to the integrity, character, honesty of either Senator Obama or Senator Clinton was wrong,” he said, “I condemn it, and if I have any responsibility, I will take the responsibility, and I apologize for it.”

He called Mr. Obama a “man of integrity” and said he was someone he had come to know “pretty well and I admire.”

He also said that it was not appropriate to invoke Mr. Obama’s middle name in the course of the campaign.

“I absolutely repudiate such comments,” he said. “It will never happen again.”

To which Cunnigham replied that he was peeved with McCain:
Mr. Cunningham said the media often say “nasty, negative things”about President Bush and Vice President Cheney, and that The Times had “smeared” John McCain on its front page.

Treat all the politicians the same. We’re not dealing with the messiah here. Obama cannot heal the sick and make the blind see. He’s a hack Democratic politician from Chicago, that’s all he is. Let’s treat him like every other hack Democratic or Republican politician.

Then he continued:

I’m angry at McCain. Why would John McCain repudiate me? I’ve been able to unite McCain and Obama against me. I might become a supporter of Ralph Nader.

No, Bill, in some ways McCain does live within a dark vista, but you can't support Nader. That's taking justified indignation a bit too far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home