Saturday, November 08, 2008

Footprints in the Snows of Time

A touch depressed. Went for my first winter walk.

Not much winter. Temp was maybe 33-35 degrees, above freezing anyway, at least when I started out. Darkly gray, a bit windy --some snow. At some places I actually left footprints, that makes it winter.

Quite a good walk though. I saw the Great Horned Owl sitting in the near tip-top of a skeleton tree across the water on Blue Bird Island; and I watched a Bald Eagle flying about, and about, back-and-forth. If I take the island as the center, his radius of flight was less than a quarter mile. Three times he flew over me at maybe only fifty feet, turning back --huge-- as though checking me out. That stretch of the walk, north along the river and then a return along the same path, takes about a half hour. I saw him that entire time. Often I see him there, but normally only for the time it takes for him to take flight to somewhere else, but today he was an agitated bird. I was thinking it might have something to do with the snow. As I said, it was very little and much like sleet though clearly snow. If was the first formal proof of the changing of the season. Maybe somehow that got him upset. It got me upset.

Back at my place I took a brief nap. Waking, the sun was dead. There was chill in the room, it was black outside my window, and I was thinking of my dead friends....

Winters shouldn't happen so often.

How about this? How long before John McCain and his newest "gang of fourteen" reach across the isle and destroy any chance for a Republican barrier to a Democrat agenda? It would make him the darling of the Liberal press again. Country first, you know.

Actually, I do believe he believes that, Country First, though I just don't know if he's philosophically bright enough to know what that means. And I genuinely don't know. His positions seem to splat all over the place. Was that because he all along has been positioning himself as a centrist for his run for President? Is it just ersatz? His presidential ambitions over, can he change? Will he see now the left as a threat? Will he hold firm? Will he see that opposition is the true defense of his country?

I do think if he set himself to do battle he could be effective. But I just don't think he sees the enemy. As he said himself, there was a time in his life when he was "tied up", but that was back when the internal enemy was first plotting and he didn't see it at all. He just doesn't know what he's up against.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great site. One of the shrinking few that not only gets it, but is not afraid to print it.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home