Thursday, November 06, 2008

Woods Wander Wonder

Back from my walk. Late start, had to do the circuit fast, so saw little but did see the Great Horned Owl again in the Pondo Woods. He's been hanging out there now for a couple of weeks.

I'd gone about to the end of my path north along the river. Decided to turn back, because the weather was close to raw and it was darkling more rapidly than normal. And that's when I heard the soft --Hoot-- behind me. I turned, looked, listened, and had an odd directional clarity as to the source of sound. Normally the hoot is such a resonant whisper that there's no way to clearly sense just where from out of the dark woods it's coming.

I took a few steps more... and there the bugger was! just thirty feet in front of me and twenty feet up in a bare tree. He looked straight at me, the old tufted ears sticking up on either side of his broad head. And then he turned to the side again, leaned far forward, throat inflated, and said: "Hoot, da da, Hoo Hoo Hoo." --Each time I hear him there's a different pattern. I'm sure that means something, but I don't know what. --On each hoot, as the throat inflated, the head thrust forward, definitively, with a sort of nod, as if quite certain that what he had to say was very important. And then as I stepped further forward and underneath him he flew. What a suddenly massive bird with those blocky broad wings extended, twisting through the thick screen of twigs and branches, soundlessly.

Of course the reason my directional sense had been so accurate was because he had been so close. I rather expect he'd flown in behind me as I stood, pausing, looking up the river.

And I do wonder if we're going to continue as a democracy, or just continue as a Barack Banana Republic, a society that will continue to have elections but not one that the out party can ever win.

I keep hearing people argue that the press will turn on Obama once he disappoints his base. I don't believe that for a moment. I just don't see how he can disappoint --unless he does attempt to move to the center and govern wisely. But of course that's not going to happen; he wants what the press wants. Neither has any interest in a prosperous economy or a secure nation. Each want only a new government and one party rule. It's called conviction. The press simply isn't going to criticize as long as there's still an opposition, and a Constitution.

It's important to know when you have an enemy. I know we have an enemy in Al Qaeda, not everybody does. I know we have an enemy in Obama and the press and the Democrat leadership. Not everybody does.

-----------
Really really funny from Iowahawk.

-----------------
Note:

STOCKS CONTINUE POST-ELECTION PLUNGE... Dow, S&P 500 Post Worst Two-Day Decline Since 1987..

I guess when Barack said that upon the historic day of his election the seas would begin to recede he just misspoke, he didn't mean "seas" he meant NYMEX. I'm sure somebody will clarify that.

--Crude briefly went below $60. That's pleasant. In my neighborhood a gallon a gas is $1.96

--Will have to sometime check out poll numbers. But: Obama slightly above Bush 2004; McCain about 5 million below Kerry. Wonder who stayed home. Youth vote about the same as always, but more heavily skewed toward Obama. Hispanics slightly more in favor of the Democrat than normal. That actually surprises me.

----------------
I'll include this Neo-neocon post as one I found useful just after the election, the post and the comments. I entered some of my own. It was useful to find other people voicing the same apprehensions I felt. I really don't know if we've moved into a new structure of government --a kind of coup in fact and a great reduction of personal liberty (I know that's the liberal intent), or if it's just a swing to the left to be followed by a swing back to the right...? Actually, it is a movement left, no matter what. Our society has been moving left my entire life. And I know the left wants totalitarian rule, I presume that will be the end of our democratic experiment. I see this as the simple course of history. But there is a question of just how rapidly it will happen, and how completely...? And there is no reason that such a huge nation needs to stay united as one. There is no way every section would accept totalitarian rule from the East coast. I this consideration I'm thinking though in terms of two hundred years --or many anyway. What's more immediately important is what's going to happen in the next dozen. I do feel a foreboding I've not felt before... It is interesting that what bothers me most is the nut leftist press, Orwellian, creating reality... And this really is a very interesting awareness. Half the country already agrees with me that the press is corrupt. I do think if we could maintain an intelligent press we could maintain an intelligent people. --There seems something oddly clarifying in stating the totally obvious. Maybe I'm just very tired. I know that my greatest drive my entire life has been to keep my mind free. As long as I can get information I'm personally in fairly good shape. What's true for me has got to be true for others. If there are a lot of others there's a political movement. --I wonder if I'm thinking of some sort of dual nation within one? I think I am tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home