Thursday, December 06, 2007

Hootenanny Hoot

"Love one another. Your religion is great, my religion is great. Can't we all get along?"

Unfortunately, I missed the speech. I thought it was going to be on in the evening --perhaps I assumed that because it would have been more "presidential".

Anyway, I missed it, and will have to read it later. I did quickly read through excerpts at The Corner. I presume that's the meat of it, and I just listened to Rush's ecstatic response. I believe his judgment is that Romney came across as a man of courage and faith, a leader.

It wasn't about his Mormon faith, it was about religious liberty. Boy, is he a leader, a guy that can tackle the hard issues! I never would have believed such courage. In America, of all places, a man who can have the stunning courage to be able to defend religious liberty! Wow! That Rush can really see the stitches on a fast-ball.

But I know nothing more about his faith, and as I've said from the beginning, I can't trust a man who can't discuss his faith. I necessarily presume he has something to hide, or to coin a phrase: "How can we fool them today?"

Apparently it's easy.

But, this is going to be fun. The question has been opened. Religion is now a fair subject because religious liberty --the weasel words of this speech--has never been the subject at all. The subject is the Mormon faith, and if that in all it's assumptions and baggage is suitable for a man who would be president.

This is my insistence, and this makes me a bigot. I know the routine. I'm Christian. In America a Christian is a bigot, they have this annoying characteristic of taking their faith seriously. Everybody fairly hates a Christian. Boy, I can't blame them, they tend to be critical.

Okay, it's part of the stick. Take the crap but argue. It should be fun.

Later I'll actually read the speech as it was delivered and make a more carefully reasoned response.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home