Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Meander Muse Election Day

Don't know if I'll write today or just read and listen to the radio, but I'll copy out this note from my journal. It may or may not be my only entry.

Okay. I'm going to make this statement which I'd intended to make last night but was so relaxed after I finished reading at about 3:00 that I fell asleep immediately and so didn't. Had I made the statement it would have been this:

I feel very relaxed. I've thought about this election as well as I can. My analysis is that the Democrats have been nonsensical in their criticism, and the MSM has been the same and nonsensical in their criticism. They're indistinguishable and nonsensical and so have lost influence. I predict Republicans will do well because fools can not influence intelligent people in a free Republic.

So that's what I wanted to say. This will be a test of my judgment as a man in contact with his nation. That the Dems and MSM have been fools is incontestable. I would make that argument even if not one other American agreed with me. But as an observer I'm arguing that many many millions of other Americans agree with me. If things turn out as I expect those many millions will think they're just as smart as me... And that will be right and that's good.

..................
5:30 PM
Just voted, or 45 minutes ago. Packed. I was vote 783. One Republican vote! I live in an enemy land. There may be others of us, but I don't know --we don't know-- we don't have a secrete sign. It was a jovial packed crowd in a fairly small room. Forty, sixty people milling behind me, a leisured anticipation of victory. --I slipped out. I strode three blocks to my parked truck, license plate covered. I sped away. They won't be able to find me.

..........Actually, to my surprise Dems may be doing better than I'd expected....? Pessimism, Pessimism. For God's sake, even conservatives are calling it close. YOU CAN'T KNOW YET UNTIL YOU'VE GOT NUMBERS! For heaven's sake, just wait an hour.

5:50
Lammont wins in Connecticut! No wonder conservatives expect a bad night... 'Course, that was an exit poll. --It does occur to me that this is one thing the MSM can still do, they can create discouragement. Bad news, even if you understand that it's spread with no concern that it be accurate, still does discourage. A bad smell is a bad smell, even if you're pretty sure it's not deadly.

7:40
Three things:
--Everybody in the US must be on the net, and with my having dial-up I seem to be last on the list. Fundamentally the net to me to night is useless. I can't browse, I can't even leave and come back to Hewitt.
--No Dem wave
--Unfortunately, no Republican wave either. I'd kind of thought that might happen. Dewine and Santorum lost; one house seat gone. At least that's what's been called.

8:05
NRO has a quite pessimistic call on the house, 29 Republican seats lost. That's made on the basis of no votes, just exit polls and past polls. I don't understand why they're making that call on election night.

11:40
'Bout time to recognize that things did not go as I'd expected. This will take some thought tomorrow, and some information. I'm presuming that Democrats voted in much larger numbers than I would have thought. It is possible Republicans voted less. I am very surprised.

There are two questions: What does this means in terms of government? What does it mean in terms of my judgment? I will speculate on the coming government, but so what, if I was so far off tonight? If I'm off on the election, how can I presume I'm correct regarding government? This is very disconcerting.

I would state that my arguments are more important than my predictions, because predictions are a matter of degree. That they were somewhat off is not so bad as if I'd been wrong about the forces in play. This will take thought. It does appear most of the loses were close, but just nothing bounced Republican. Very upsetting.

Special note: It does appear Michael Barone called it right on the money: Three to five lost in the Senate, sixteen to twenty in the House. We might lose more than that in the House.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home