Wednesday, January 24, 2007

White Nights & Mice

5:57 AM
Went out to check my mice. Lots of activity, both pens. They're handling the winter very well. Note that all the paper scraps I put out yesterday and all the hay as well, even though it's only meadow hay and not alafalfa, is gone, tucked down into their holes. No wind, 20.5 degrees. This is colder than last night but yet so much more activity? Can't figure these little buggers out.

And in the still night I was quite aware of my white sidewalks. It snowed three days ago. I still haven't shoveled. I had thought that was because I'm a slob, but I've had an insight: Global Warming. I realize now what was before an unknown, unrecognized, splendor of my own soul; I recognize now that I act by an unconscious nobility. More clearly: I act by an imperious, subconscious, social conscience. I increase albedo.

I should restate that. In the interest of a more perfect accuracy I state this: that it is not that I increase albedo, but rather that, in good stewardship, I allow it to remain. Thus, heat, inherent in our daylight-sunlight-radiant light, that would otherwise be absorbed through my walks to rest in our Mother Earth, melting the poles and causing catastrophic flooding in New York, is instead reflected back, cast out, harmlessly into empty stellar space. The planet is saved, Manhattan dry, and my conscience... has done well.

My neighbors, on the other hand, have not shown the same good judgment. Their walks are scraped clean. And they probably feel morally superior to me, and presume a higher sense of civic duty. It's all a matter of insight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home