Thursday, January 18, 2007

Who's All Bushed?

In a state now of mild despondency, due to a setback in personal matters and with my present life seeming a little disassociated and unreal, I thought I would reflect a bit on the state of the politics of the nation.

Same same. I just can't see any difference. We're in a war, we may face a stunning defeat, and the Democrats are concerned with minimum wage and are about to pass a resolution opposing the "surge" of 21,000 troops... and there doesn't seem to be much emotion on this matter one way or the other.

Am I projecting my personal emotions or is this the state of the State? I have felt that since Nov 7 all the heat has gone out. The Democrats won, that's what this war was all about, and now the war is over. What now happens in Iraq, at least for the present, is not only a matter of little consequence, it's not even a matter of particular interest. The battle won, behind us, it's time now to move on... To no place in particular. Once you've won, there's really not much more to do. That is, not until the next battle forms, which will be 2008.

Or it could just be me. I am pooped. Right now I would just as soon sleep as read, but I simply don't sense the passion anymore, on one side or the other. The positions remain the same --right war / wrong war; progress / quagmire; Victory / Withdrawal, that sort of thing-- but not the passions.

This could turn out okay. Possibly we've entered a period of "benign neglect", where, with so few people paying intent attention, the military will be left to do its job. If they fail, Ho Hum, Bush is a Jerk. If they succeed... That would be stunning.

But again, maybe it's just me. I'm pooped, possibly the nation is in a rage. I've missed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home