Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Know Thine Enemy, Know Thyself

Heard Nancy Pelosi, I believe interviewed by Diane Sawyer, say: "This is a referendum on Dick Cheney and George Bush." Can't get any better than that; and heard Howard Dean say that the top three priorities for Democrats if they take control of congress would be to raise the minimum wage, institute ethics reform, and work on universal health care. Can't get any better than that. In a serious time these people are vacant.

As I've said before, the polls measure dissatisfaction, but the vote is a judgment, and you can't make a judgment on vapor. The only people in this race are Republicans, at least as these races have a national component. The Democrats just don't exist. I just don't believe that a party that doesn't exist is going to draw many votes.

There is Bush hatred. That hatred has somewhat extended to the concept "Republicans", but not very much to specific candidates. It might hurt a little in open seats, where there isn't an incumbent with an established personality, but otherwise the only place Republicans are hurting is where there are local issues. Dewine in Ohio is a good example. Santorum in Pennsylvania (probably because of his powerful conservatism on social issues) is another. The local component. Menendez in New Jersy faces a similar problem on the side of the Democrats. But there is no national positive Democrat strength, and I would argue no national Republican negative.

I've in fact argued that all that's national for the Republicans is positive. Security. There is no national anti-Republican sentiment, I don't care how much the generic polls favor the Democrats. It's pure media creation, dissatisfaction, but utterly without substance. It's not even smoke it's vapor, and it will dissipate with the rising sun November 7th.

Strange year, I've never seen this before. Could just be me. It's been years since I've paid attention to the major media, I mean to their spin and attitude. I know they're my enemies. But it is 24/7. It's all propaganda, it's all Democrat. If they can't swing this election this year to the Democrats, big time, they're not major media anymore, whatever might be their numbers. And this isn't because they've been replaced. Alternative media is still small. It would be because they've so obviously become political. When it becomes so obvious, the "objectivity" in the news comes not from the tube, but from the judgment of the individual. Spin becomes noise.

This is my view. I can't presume this view, so obviously true to me, is shared by others, yet if Democrats don't win, that's a pretty good argument that my view is widespread, and it means that major media, as a political force, is nicely dead.

I presume they are nicely dead.

In two weeks, will major media start to smell, or will I be embarrassed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home