Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bad Dream Fallout

Had 3 1/2 hours of sudden, deep sleep, and then woke to a very bad dream. I've lost it entirely, except that I know it was political in its imagery, it had something of the oppressive feel of a John Lecare' novel, and I woke while viewing a coffin about to be lowered.

I've never in my life before had a dream about politics, and of course this wasn't about politics either because a dream is never about its image. But it is about those feelings that are associated with the images within the dream and I do think this dream was about myself in relation to my society in my isolation from that society and from friends.

Dreams are truth statements. Truth sometimes can be over stated, and usefully so, as it "highlights the issues".

I know that last night just before I went to bed I was thinking about North Korea and not in its political aspect vis-avis the US or other nations but just as a regime that indifferently will allow its people to starve when they're not presently necessary or useful.

I can understand hatred. I can understand how one population might want to exterminate another. As long as there's hatred there --it maters not if it's just or unjust-- if there's hatred there I can understand it. And I can understand policy --one million here, five million there, starved-- just because it's necessary to fulfill "the plan". This kind of thinking is common. Infatuation with "the plan" obscures all sense and recognition of its consequence. The destruction of millions in Africa from malaria after the withdrawal of use of DDT is an example. I can understand these things. I can feel hatred, and I can be very enamored of my own nostrums to save the world, but last night before I slept I thought briefly about North Korea and saw a regime simply unmindful of the death of its citizens simply because at the moment they were neither necessary nor a problem and so weren't thought of at all.

I don't in fact know what is in the minds of those in the regime of the North, but this is the thought that was in my mind last night as I fell asleep and it did not make for a good dream. A regime that can simply "forget" its citizens --starving citizens, dying citizens-- can forget simply because those citizens are not at the moment either needed or a problem... This is unpleasant. It startles comprehension. It is my view of North Korea.

This was one thought among many hideous that passed through my mind in succession in just minutes as I moved to a waking state from that bad dream. I don't believe a man could withstand many such dreams, I know it's a dream that can't rest within the waking mind throughout the course of the day. It would be intolerable, and fortunately it is pretty much gone now and remains hardly as a vapor or even a wisp. -I do remember though the hatred that was expressed toward Foley. The hatred was the justification for the abhorrence with no concern that the charges even make sense and I was wondering if this is the mind-set that the anti-semite enters when he wants to destroy the Jew? I can understand why the Jews would be afraid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home