Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Popgun War

I feel oppressed this morning by the difficulties of life. The particular difficulty I face just now is how do I get Israel to fight? The simple fact that that's a nut question doesn't keep me from being oppressed.

What's going on? A new kind of war has formed, Israel will never again have security as long as Hizbollah exists, and they're not doing nuthing!

I think there are insanities involved. I think Olmert is living in terrified Dippyville. "Israel will not allow Hizbullah to be on its borders..." something like that, something about a one kilometer no go zone... They've got rockets that can fire 37 Miles!

This statement is nuts, yet Israelis have rallied around their Prime Minister "in time of war". He ought to be gently led away and at least replaced by a school girl who will fight.

I simply have never before seen a nation let itself be destroyed like this.


And The Gun That Popped

Big deal about the attack by the Pakistani guy in the Jewish Center in Seattle; great agitation on the part of some that it is being reported that "his motivation is not known"; agitation that "explanations" are now being given on the basis of his mental history, his criminal history. The people agitated insist it was terrorism, and charge that the authorities and the MSM are in PC denial.

They're right.

In my own thought I make an automatic though somewhat clumsy distinction between terrorism and a mere terrorist act: Terrorism is an organization, a terroristic act is an individual doing exactly what he would do if he were a part of that organization.

The difference is scale and force. Why belabor the difference. I do note that if it's an organization or if it's an individual they're all Muslims.

I have friends who are nuts. They go to psychotherapy. This guy is a nut. He kills Jews. He's a Muslim.

One point two billion of them Muslims out there, and an awfully lot of them are killing people. The liberal mind-set does deal with it. They say things like: American imperialism, Israeli brutality, hijacked religion, and always, Nice Muslim. And then a Nice Muslim shoots six Jewish women and he has mental problems.

They're right.

(3:40 PM)

Rope-a-Dope?

Been trying to fantasize some way that Israel is not getting its butt kicked.

Perhaps this is a sort of rope-a-dope? Normally the Israelis slaughter the Arabs and the international community steps in to stop the fight before the job is done. Maybe this time Israel is purposely not responding so as to cleverly lead the international community into a pattern of inaction --the idea being that if it's Israel being slaughtered it's okay-- and then, when Israel has got them right where they want them --that is, somehow committed to doing nothing-- then, Wham! Israel will suddenly spring its secrete plan, and Hizbollah will be wiped from the face of the earth. That's one fantasy. It needs work.

Or maybe this is a Tet Offensive, all Hizbollah's finest manhood has surfaced, and one by one, in apparent half-hearted effort, Israel is slowly but surely sending each to Allah. In this scenario, at a certain point Israel will just go home. Hizbollah will throw a big party... and nobody will come! 'cause they're all dead! The Lebanese Army will see this and hitch up their pants and go finish the job...

And I really can't think about this seriously now. Israel is dither defeated. Unless they rise up in rage --unless the Israeli street rises up in rage and ousts their weeny leadership-- they're dead. It's not fun to read.

(6:38 PM)


Cockroach

Went for a walk with a friend, chatted about this and that. I said: "I'm not going to talk about Lebanon, I know you're not interested." He said: "What I want to know about Lebanon can be put in one line in something I'll read in six months." I said: "Early in the week I did have an insight, one that surprised me, and then two days later was surprised to find that everyone else had that same insight." (I said that not to talk about Lebanon but to continue our primary dispute which was, on my side, that men could communicate because they were fundamentally the same, differing only in preconditional concepts; to which he was in opposition, saying all men were different, so much so that it was miraculous that there could even appear to be communication). I repeated: "I had an insight..." He interrupted, now impatient: "I'll tell you your insight, and you can say it proves we're the same but it doesn't: You can't kill a cockroach. At the end of biological time, all creatures dead, the cockroach will still live." "Close enough," I said.

(11:03 PM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home