Tuesday, January 10, 2006

"Snuppy's a Clone!" Who Says?

I went to Secondhand Smoke a little bit ago. This is my blog of reference now for following the Woo-suk Hwang fraud. It's written by Wesly J. Smith, an apparently very bright guy and a man who seems to have values similar to my own, but in his last post he disappoints me slightly. He writes:

So, Hwang has apparently never cloned any human embryos nor created cloned embryonic stem cells. But he did clone Snuppy the dog.
Does the modifier "apparently" also reference the second sentence: "But he did clone Snuppy the dog." I hope so. Seoul National University asserts that the DNA match between the donnor, Tai, the three year old Afgan, and Snuppy, indicate that Snuppy is a somatic clone. Maybe. We are dealing with fraud. Fraud can be clever. A simple match of blood type, in effect a paternity test, hardly seems a level of skepticism appropriate to a man like Hwang. There's more than one way to get an identical DNA. I would like to know, for example, when it was that Hwang aquired Tai, I would like to see some documentation.

The official investigative summary is here (linked by Smith). I sent him this comment:

"But he did clone Snuppy the dog." Who says? Hwang said he'd cloned a human embryo and extracted stem cells. Hwang said he'd cloned and created eleven patient-specific stem-cell lines. Oh yeah Oh yeah Oh yeah. South Korea University says "Snuppy is a clone" and you say "Oh yeah!" Oh yeah? These are the same guys who allowed Hwang to flourish in the first place, and who still have a hundred technicians they have to pay with state grant money. --It is not insignificant that an adult and a puppy have identical DNA. As an assertion made by a gentleman this would indicate one was a clone. But I note that a successful con depends on the artist being considered a gentleman. These men are gentlemen? I know I'm an extraordinarily extreme and tasteless fellow, but I presume self-interest and dishonesty. I presume fraud, and fraud is both clever and bold. "Snuppy is a clone." It's reported absolutely everywhere as fact. Are you going to send them your own money?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home