Thursday, January 05, 2006

Put Me Down For Fraud

Snuppy's a puppy. Just want to take my stand, stick my neck out, go on record, put my reputation on the line. How daring! Hwang, Woo-suk, cheats! (Notice how discreetly I avoid the obvious alliteration), but Snuppy is not a clone but probably an embryonic split. Who knows? When "science" becomes simply assertion, Hwange, Woo-suk, could have done just about anything. Anyway, I await with pleasurable anticipation the announcement next week (or some time soon) that Snuppy, the world's first cloned dog, isn't.

Nothing against Snuppy, I just don't like cloners, and this is something that I think might hurt them and that's EXCELLENT.

I regard this whole excited hysteria about the promise of embryonic stemcell research to be something new in science and bad. It certainly is bad. I regard it as Frankenstein Hucksterism. I don't believe these guys are concerned at all with therapy or medicine, I think they just want to clone themselves a human --some people are turned on by that-- and get themselves fame and a lot of grant money while they're at it.

So, to have one of them exposed as such a splendid fraud, is good. Hwang, Woo-suk, Sacked. (Note, while an alliteration, this is still discreet).

It does seem to me that those working in adult stem cell research are concerned with therapy and are concerned with medicine and are true scientists. --This has to be a short post because I'm about to head down for my four day "weekend". Perhaps when I get back I'll put down some of my layman's speculations on how stem cells actually work, but just for now I do want to note a guy I've just discovered: Wesley J. Smith. He's following this closely, he's very good. His blog is Secondhand Smoke; he also writes for The Weekly Standard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home